Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

RGRC Book #4 - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

"The true magic of this broken world lay in the ability of the things it contained to vanish, to become so thoroughly lost, that they might never have existed in the first place."
― Michael Chabon, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

Review copied from Goodreads (12/30/14):

I absolutely loved this book. For what it's worth, I listened to it on Audible, and I liked the narrator, so that helped. But whether I had listened to it or read it on paper, I'm positive that it still would have made its way onto my favorites shelf. Kavalier & Clay is about so much more than just comic books. The subtle (and not-so-subtle) undertones and side plots are every bit as developed and interesting as the primary plot. The relationships between the characters - friends, family, lovers - are so very well-written and real that you can almost feel what they feel.

It takes an excellent writer (Chabon) to produce a story about an excellent writer (Clay). I see why this book won a Pulitzer. It is definitely a feat to get through it, but if you take your time and read it through, it is absolutely worth it. Five stars.

No comments: